Thursday, October 2, 2008

Summer Lovin'


Over the summer I began following the sleeper hit, Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles. The show was way better than I expected, and now I look forward to new installments each week.

However, one thing I could not help but notice on the show was Cameron, the young female Terminator who protects John Connor. She is played by Summer Glau of Firefly fame. Cameron is a surprisingly deep character, thanks in part to the sublime acting of Ms Glau. She is clearly the strongest actor on the show.

Her character is also helped by the fact she's a hottie. Or is she? Don't get me wrong she is certainly hotter than most girls I'd ever have a chance with, but recently something made me question my attraction to her. My reasons may anger or confuse you fanboys out there. I find Summer especially hot because she almost seems attainable. Why? She has flawed beauty. The flaw lies in her face. Allow me to explain.

For the most part, Summer's face is just lovely. She has a fun balance of innocence, attitude, and insanity. However, there are moments when the prettiness seems to melt away. She does this weird mouth thing that makes her look a little "Short Bus." I don't know about you, but I find that a major turn off. I am not sure why she makes this face, orr if she is even aware of it. She sometimes did the same thing on Firefly, so I am fairly sure it comes from Summer herself and not the writing or direction. Megan Fox, of Transformers fame is often guilty of the same look. I wonder if they went to the same special ed acting school? But I digress...

This seemingly minor flaw works its way through the minds of nerds like myself. Our twisted logic puts the idea in our heads that, "She's hot, but not perfect, that means I have a chance with her." Sadly this logic, much like Summer's face is flawed. There is no way any of us has a chance with a girl like her.

So, in closing, I want to restate that Summer Glau is quite hot, and certainly out of my league. She's a fine actress too, so check her out on Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles (They really need the ratings!)

No comments: